Muncie, Indiana — A search for 19-year-old former high school football star Matthew Morey has ended in tragedy after Indiana authorities recovered his body from the flood-swollen Mississinewa River.
The Delaware County Sheriff’s Office announced Saturday, August 15, that crews had found Morey after several days of searching through dangerous flood conditions.
“From the beginning, we made a commitment to Matthew’s family that we would not give up until they had answers. Today, that search has come to an end,” the sheriff’s office said.
Authorities expressed their condolences to Morey’s family, friends, classmates and everyone who knew him, while asking the community to respect the family’s privacy as they grieve.
Football Star Was Days Away From College
Morey had recently graduated from Delta High School in Muncie, where he played wide receiver for the school’s football team. His death came just as he was preparing for a major new chapter in his life.
He was scheduled to move into his dorm at Purdue University on Sunday, August 16, only one day after authorities announced that his body had been recovered.
For his family and friends, the timing has made the loss even more difficult as they mourn a young man whose college plans were just beginning.
Morey Jumped Into Flood-Swollen River With Friends
According to authorities, Morey and three friends jumped from a bridge into the Mississinewa River on Wednesday, August 12. The other three people were safely recovered, and officials immediately began searching for Morey.
It remains unclear why the group jumped into the river, particularly as Indiana was experiencing severe flooding and dangerous water conditions.
At the time, the river was carrying powerful currents and significant amounts of debris, making the search extremely difficult.
Dangerous Flood Conditions Halted Search
Search crews initially used a wide range of resources to locate Morey, including boats, drones, aircraft, K9 teams and personnel searching along the riverbank.
But rising water levels eventually forced authorities to suspend portions of the operation.
The sheriff’s office warned that the combination of swift currents and heavy debris had created conditions too dangerous for boats and people to enter the water.
Officials emphasized that protecting first responders and volunteers had to remain a priority. The difficult conditions continued as Morey’s family waited for answers.
Mother Held Onto Hope
The day before Morey’s body was recovered, his mother, Angie Morey, spoke emotionally about her son’s disappearance and her desperate hope that he could still be alive.
Through tears, she described wanting to reach the river herself but being unable to safely enter the dangerous water.
She said she would have gone into the river herself if she had a boat, emphasizing how powerless she felt while rescue crews searched for her son.
Her words reflected the anguish of a family forced to wait while flooding prevented them from helping directly.
Community Holds Prayer Vigil for Matthew
As the search continued, the local community gathered Friday, August 14, for a prayer vigil in Morey’s honor.
Pastor Jeff Hughes told those gathered that the community was coming together because Matthew’s life mattered and because his family should not have to carry the grief alone.
The vigil brought together people connected to Morey, his family and his school as the community waited for news. Less than 24 hours later, authorities announced that the search had ended with the recovery of Morey’s body.
Indiana Flooding Adds to Tragic Circumstances
Morey’s death occurred as severe flooding affected Indiana, with the disaster reportedly claiming at least five lives.
The flooding was serious enough that President Donald Trump approved an emergency declaration for Indiana, providing access to federal disaster assistance.
The dangerous conditions also complicated the search for Morey, with rising water and debris making it increasingly difficult for rescue crews to safely operate.
The Delaware County Sheriff’s Office said from the beginning that it had committed to continuing the search until Morey’s family received answers.
Now that the search has ended, Morey’s loved ones face the painful task of mourning a 19-year-old who was preparing to begin college and whose life was cut short during a devastating flooding event.
His family, former teammates, classmates and the wider Muncie community are now remembering him while asking for privacy as they grieve.
What are your thoughts on this heartbreaking loss? Share a message of support for Matthew Morey’s family and community in the comments below.