Miami, Florida — A Florida mother is facing serious criminal charges after authorities say she intentionally started a fire inside her home while her two young daughters were present, with investigators later discovering videos allegedly showing the children being exposed to hot melted candle wax.
Meliza Campos-Sanchez, 26, was arrested Monday, Aug. 17, and charged with first-degree arson, child abuse and two counts of child neglect, according to arrest affidavits.
The investigation began after Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to the home on Aug. 16 following reports of a kitchen fire.
A fire investigator determined that the blaze had allegedly been intentionally started, involving an open flame, ignitable liquids and combustible materials.
Videos Allegedly Capture Disturbing Acts
As investigators looked into the circumstances surrounding the fire, they reportedly learned that Campos-Sanchez had posted two videos on Instagram.
According to the arrest affidavit, one video allegedly showed the mother using lit candles to melt wax and pour it first onto her own leg and then onto the hands of her two daughters.
In another video, investigators say Campos-Sanchez appeared while wearing a silver mask. She allegedly sprayed a liquid onto clothing placed on the kitchen floor before using a red lighter to ignite the material.
Investigators later photographed items they believed were connected to the incident, including a silver mask, red lighter and clear plastic bottle with a yellow cap.
The bottle reportedly contained a clear liquid believed to be rubbing alcohol.
Fire Caused Damage Inside Kitchen
The fire investigator who examined the home reportedly found burned materials and minor fire damage concentrated around the center of the tiled kitchen floor.
Although the damage was described as minor, authorities were investigating the fire as an intentional act because of the materials and methods allegedly used to ignite it.
The presence of the children inside the home became a major part of the investigation.
Husband Says Family Was Experiencing Problems
According to the affidavit, Campos-Sanchez’s husband, Yusniel Cue, told investigators that the couple had been experiencing marital problems.
Cue reportedly said he had been staying with his parents for approximately one week, while Campos-Sanchez remained at the residence with their daughters.
He allegedly learned about the videos after receiving a call from one of his wife’s friends, who told him to contact police.
When Cue arrived at the home, Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office deputies and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue personnel were already there.
He then took custody of the children while Campos-Sanchez was transported to a hospital.
Cue also reportedly told investigators about an earlier incident in which he believed Campos-Sanchez had attempted suicide. He said he had contacted the sheriff’s office during the previous week because of concerns involving their children.
Daughter Describes What Happened Inside the Home
Investigators later spoke with Campos-Sanchez’s eldest daughter, who provided an account of what she allegedly witnessed.
The girl reportedly said she and her younger sister were in the laundry room next to the kitchen after lunch when they saw their mother set fire to clothing on the kitchen floor.
According to the affidavit, the girl also told investigators that her mother threw a glass mug onto the floor while dancing. The mother then reportedly used a bowl of water to extinguish the flames.
The child also described what allegedly happened afterward.
According to investigators, Campos-Sanchez brought the girls into the kitchen and began pouring hot wax from lit candles onto herself and both children.
The allegations formed part of the basis for the child abuse and neglect charges.
Mother Charged After Hospital Visit
After reviewing the evidence, an officer went to a local hospital where Campos-Sanchez was reportedly being treated. The affidavit states that she was sedated and unable to be interviewed at the time.
She was subsequently charged with first-degree arson, child abuse and two counts of child neglect before being transported to the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Institution.
The allegations remain part of an ongoing criminal case, and Campos-Sanchez is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in court.
The investigation has raised serious concerns about what happened inside the Miami home and how the children were exposed to the alleged fire and hot wax incidents.
What are your thoughts on this disturbing case? Do you think authorities should take additional steps to protect children when warning signs like these are reported? Share your thoughts in the comments below.