Announcements
  • Would you like to join the Common Sense staff? Talk to Ms. Vande Sande in room 19.
The student news site of Cedarburg High School

Common Sense

the student newspaper site of Cedarburg High School, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Common Sense

Common Sense

New club focuses on fashion and outreach

The Fashion Club collected over 1,000 items of clothing which they donated to the outreach group Mr. Bob’s Under the Bridge. Photo courtesy of Fashion Club.

The idea to start a Fashion Club grew from one student sharing his idea with another student during math class.

Junior Bennett Haasch had an idea, and as president of the club junior Ryan Severson said, they “kind of went from there and made it happen.” Currently, the club has over 160 members.

Severson admits that it was a little intimidating starting a club, but once he got going, he received lots of encouragement and support. This made the process much easier.

The leadership team includes: Severson; junior Everett Klink (vice president); junior Quinn Donaldson (secretary); junior Hudson Wulff (social media manager); junior Jasper Esten (treasurer); and sophomore August Schuele (foreign affairs). The club adviser is English teacher Kyle McGilligan-Bentin.

Severson said he and Klink knew that a lot of people have “passion for fashion.” They wanted to create a fun, safe place where everyone can express themselves. The core principles of the club are inclusivity and having a good time. The Fashion Club accepts everyone and encourages them to be themselves.

The club meets once a month during Resource in the LGI. During these meetings, the leadership team informs members of upcoming events and updates current fashion trends. Club members play games such as Quizlet and trivia, and a few students are called to model and describe their outfit of the day.

Severson said he believes fashion’s role in society is “allowing people to express themselves and feel good in their own shoes.” Fashion can help people gain confidence and it acts as a form of self-expression, he said.

Fashion Club is a partner of Mr. Bob’s Under the Bridge, an outreach group that distributes clothing and hygiene products to people in need in the greater Milwaukee area. In three weeks, they gathered over 1,000 donations of clothing and winter gear.

A goal of the club is to expand their charity work by collaborating with other organizations. Severson said their focus is “overall making an impact on our community.”

Students can become involved in Fashion Club by attending meetings, following the club’s Instagram (@fashionatchs) and being added to the GroupMe. Severson recommends students join because the club is a “really tight knit group of people” who all get along well, have fun, easy conversations about fashion and other topics together.

Donate to Common Sense