Announcements
  • Would you like to join the Common Sense staff? Talk to Ms. Vande Sande in room 19.
The student news site of Cedarburg High School

Common Sense

the student newspaper site of Cedarburg High School, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Common Sense

Common Sense

Junior seeks to earn her pilot’s license

Yana Sonina

Junior Yana Sonina is in the process of getting her pilot’s license. She has been practicing since early 2022 through Spring City Aviation, Inc. in Waukesha. 

Although she faces a long process ahead, Sonina is ambitious to earn her private pilot’s license and potentially her commercial license in the future.

Sonina said her dad was a big part of her inspiration to become a pilot. “We are very similar,” she said. She loves the sense of independence that it creates and how it allows “having full control.” 

The planes she flies are Cessnas, which she said is usually the plane beginners use. Sonina has completed 10 hours of flying practice. Typically, 70-89 hours of flight time is expected before obtaining a private license.

“Right now I’m not flying because of the weather,” Sonina said. One of the difficulties of Wisconsin weather is that it’s unpredictable, she said. The ideal months for flying are from February until October, according to Sonina.

Her first experience flying was scary but exciting. “He told me I’d be in full command,” she said. The hardest part, she said, was taxiing, which is the process of moving an airplane while it is on the runway. 

“People should try [flying]! I’d say it’s easier than driving,” Sonina said. 

When not practicing, Sonina is involved with the Environmental Club and volunteering at Mr. Bob’s Under the Bridge.

Donate to Common Sense