Announcements
  • Would you like to join the Common Sense staff? Talk to Ms. Vande Sande in room 19.
The student news site of Cedarburg High School

Common Sense

the student newspaper site of Cedarburg High School, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Common Sense

Common Sense

Students give back to the community

Ellie Lisiecki
Holiday cards were collected in the Community Service office before being delivered to senior citizens.

This holiday season, students gave back to the community by volunteering locally. 

The largest Community Service project was creating holiday cards for senior citizens. According to the Community Service leadership team of seniors, their goal was to collect 800 cards, but they received far more. 

“I think we beat that by a lot,” treasurer Leksi Erickson said. When they collected the cards, they found they had received so many that they needed to find additional places to deliver them. 

Vice president Anna Levy said it was “cool to see kids” making cards “in their study halls, or whenever they have time, just taking paper home, making cards.”

The cards were distributed to Newcastle Place, Hamilton House Senior Living, Village Pointe Commons and the Lasata Senior Living Campus by students and Community Service Administrative Assistant Christine Hart. 

“It’s a really great club to be a part of,” president Reese Cummings said, “because it’s opened a lot of doors for me—not just the college part, but also just connecting with the community.”

Freshmen Harmonee Johnson and Maria Nelson made Christmas cards for local senior citizens.         photo courtesy of Chris Hart

Both the student leadership team and Hart encourage students to take advantage of the local volunteering opportunities. 

The Community Service office, located in the upper IMC, has a wall filled with clipboards and information on a variety of local events and tasks which students can peruse and sign up for.

“This space covers a lot of things,” Hart said. “We try to have things that will speak to a lot of interests.” Hart also said “we have such a special thing here” with the amount that students give back to the community and that community service is “definitely not about me, it’s about you guys.” 

Recent volunteering opportunities students participated in include the Kindness and Courage Retreats at the elementary schools and Webster Middle School respectively, breakfast with Santa and volunteering at the Saukville food pantry.

Donate to Common Sense