Announcements
  • Would you like to join the Common Sense staff? Talk to Ms. Vande Sande in room 19.
The student news site of Cedarburg High School

Common Sense

the student newspaper site of Cedarburg High School, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Common Sense

Common Sense

Two new courses will be offered next year

Small Engines II and Pro Start 2 are new course options.     

Juniors Sophie Lewis and Michelle Glynn cook broth in Pro Start 1.
Sabina Luzney
Small Engines II and Pro Start 2 are new course options. Juniors Sophie Lewis and Michelle Glynn cook broth in Pro Start 1.

Next year, students will have one additional AP course option and two new options for courses which offer industry-recognized certifications.

Pro Start 2 is a continuation of a course that was new this year, Pro Start 1. The class will contain a variety of units, including eggs, dairy, fruits, food costing, poultry, nutrition and sustainability.

In order to take the class, students must earn at least a B- in Pro Start 1. Students have the opportunity to earn the National Certificate of Achievement from the National Restaurant Association, which requires them to pass the final exams for Pro Start 1 and 2, along with completing 400 hours of culinary work experience. 

Family and Consumer Science teacher Joellen Bystol said Pro Start 2 is “for anybody who is interested in the culinary field, restaurant or hotel management.” She said, “If you have that certificate, it’s going to help you.” 

Small Engines II will build upon the Small Engines and Power Technologies course.  Students completing both Level 1 and Level 2 will have the content necessary to complete a certification assessment for Briggs and Stratton Service Tech. (MST) Certification. The MST is intended to provide students with an industry-recognized certification and to prepare students for what may be used in the industry.

Additionally, the Intro to Calculus course will now become AP PreCalculus, allowing students to potentially earn college credit by passing the AP exam. AP PreCalculus helps prepare students for math in college by providing a foundation for the concepts of functions and will give students a solid background for success in Calculus.

Donate to Common Sense