Announcements
  • Would you like to join the Common Sense staff? Talk to Ms. Vande Sande in room 19.
The student news site of Cedarburg High School

Common Sense

the student newspaper site of Cedarburg High School, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Common Sense

Common Sense

Global Scholars travel to 3 European countries

Thirty people traveled on the Global Scholars trip in June. The 11-day trip spanned three countries: Turkey, Italy and Greece. 

Twenty-six students traveled with four chaperones: Global Scholars coordinator and social studies teacher Jeff Ellmaker, art teacher Julie Grisar, social studies teacher Dan Irwin and computer science teacher Stacy Lesmeister.

They visited several locations in each country and took in a cruise, too. In Italy, they visited Rome and Campania.

In Rome, the Global Scholars toured the Colosseum, which is over 1,900 years old.

Junior Sophia Cordova said, “My favorite part of the trip was learning about the different customs and culture of Italy, especially the architecture.”

In Rome, the group visited the Trevi Fountain, the Colosseum, St. Peter’s Basilica and Vatican City. While in Italy, they also went to Campania where they saw the ruins of Pompeii.

During their visit to Greece they went to Athens, Santorini and Mykonos, as well as visiting Cesme, Turkey on their cruise. They started in Athens where they saw the Parthenon and the first Olympic Stadium. 

The group took a cruise to Santorini, Mykonos and Cesme. They traveled to Santorini where they saw the three blue domes. Finally, in Mykonos they visited several iconic beaches.

As part of the Global Scholars’ tour of Greece, the group visited Mount Parnassus and saw the ruins of the temple of The Oracle of Delphi, one of the most powerful religious institutions in ancient Greece.
The trip included a visit to Delphi, which is located above the Corinthian Gulf in Greece. Dating back to 1400 B.C., the temple was destroyed in 390 A.D. and is now an archaeological site with well-preserved ruins.

While in Greece, they took dance lessons. Lesmeister said, “The best part of the trip was being with the students… the next best part would have to be our Greek dance lesson.”

According to Ellmaker, the student-travel company EF Educational Tours plans the itinerary, but they can make any necessary changes to the itinerary. 

Cordova recommended the trip and said, “There are only a few aspects that you have to worry about as a traveler regarding the money needed for the trip …I was able to let the teachers, tour guides and EF Tours handle issues like transportation, museum and tour entry tickets, hotel reservations and plane tickets.”

Donate to Common Sense