Announcements
  • Would you like to join the Common Sense staff? Talk to Ms. Vande Sande in room 19.
The student news site of Cedarburg High School

Common Sense

the student newspaper site of Cedarburg High School, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Common Sense

Common Sense

Summer 2024: Spanish immersion trip to Costa Rica

Mappr, www.mappr.co/location/costa-rica/.

With only six more months until departure, a group of 13 girls and World Language teachers Taylor Schroeder and Chris Casey are preparing to spend two weeks in Costa Rica. The trip was announced in the 2022-2023 school year and was open to anybody who was currently in Spanish 2 or 3. 

The application process consisted of essay questions both in English and in Spanish. Students answered questions about any past traveling experiences, why they want to go to Costa Rica, what strengths they have that make them a good traveler, and what they hope to gain from the trip. 

The goal is that students will be immersed in Spanish language and culture the whole time. “I am hoping to instill the love of Spanish and the appreciation of those who speak Spanish in our traveling students,” Schroder said. “Through students’ experiences abroad, I am hoping a fire of passion is lit within each student.”

The trip will be the first international trip led by Spanish teachers since the pandemic. “We initially were approved in March of 2020 by the school board. Unfortunately, COVID-19 shut down the world, causing the trip to be canceled and forcing it to be rescheduled,” Schroeder said. 

Items on the itinerary include going to waterfalls, participating in a pineapple and chocolate experience, visiting indigenous Maleku families where the group will learn about the rich culture of the locals, experiencing the natural beauty and completing humanitarian work. 

The students traveling on the trip are juniors Sydney Betz, Sharon Chumlea, Sophia Cordova, Anna Morrell, Sasha Poss, Allie Roberts, Zoe Schiek, Sophia Steffen, Kinzi Toy, Ella Viera, Regan Wagner, Addie Wenthold; and sophomore Katherine Roberts.

Donate to Common Sense